Sunday, March 25, 2007

 

Apprenticeship with Sarah Hubbard: Part II







Inside a courtroom in the Capitol building; Me with Liz Brater, Michigan Senator for Ann Arbor area






During the second half of my day with Sarah we sat in on an educational hearing for a panel of Senators, including Liz Brater. Representatives from the public colleges and universities in Michigan spoke to the panel about a variety of issues from state funding for the schools to enrollment trends. It was really interesting to hear each of the representatives talk about their position and purpose in the educational industry in Michigan. It definitely got me thinking about schools from a business and marketing perspective.


I also got to sit in on a conference call with the Department of Homeland Security in Washington D.C. The purpose of this conference call was to discuss pilot programs for RFID chips in cards that would allow travel between the United States and Canada. This program would limit the use of passports in transit between the two countries. I learned that the issue was important in Michigan government because Michigan wants to be a pilot for the program like Washington state will be soon. It was interesting to hear all of the different arguments for policy implementation between the different parties who participated in the phone conference.
Overall, my entire day with Sarah was a ton of fun because I got to see so many things and meet so many great people. Sarah was very honest with me and I felt like I really got first hand experience of a day in the life of a lobbyist. We had fun discussing everything from politics to just chatting about the business school, since Sarah is working on her MBA at the Michigan Business School. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to meet Sarah and she is definitely someone I will keep in touch with!





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?