Sunday, March 18, 2007

 




The Capitol building in Lansing



My day with Sarah Hubbard, the Vice President of Public Affairs for the Detroit Regional Chamber was so awesome! I learned so much about state government and politics, as well as a lot about what a typical day is like for Sarah and what a lobbyist in state government does.
I was really excited when I first got to Lansing and finally met Sarah, as well as her assistant Dan. Sarah took me over to the Capitol building where we watched the Senate convene at 10am. It was really interesting to see how business was done on the Senate floor. Luckily, Sarah talked me through everything that was happening because it all occurred pretty quickly and was a little confusing at times. My favorite part was when one of the senators, Randy Richardville, introduced his first bill and was consequently "harrassed" by some of the older senators. Sarah introduced me to Randy after the session was over...he's really nice!




















Sarah Hubbard and I in her office building

After we watched the Senate meeting, we sat in on an MDOT - transportation presentation that was being made for a committee made up of members of the House of Representatives. This was really interesting to me because it brought to life many concepts that I've learned about at Michigan. For example, the presenter gave a life-cycle cost analysis for Michigan roads to determine the useful life of each road and figure out at what point it is no longer beneficial to invest in the road. It was interesting to see him use this information to point out that the state was investing in repairs of roads that were at the end of their useful life, which means the money was wasted because they needed to be completely redone.
After sitting in meetings all morning, Sarah and I went to lunch with her assistant Dan. It was really interesting to hear Sarah talk about how a big part of her job is just going to the meetings and hearings like the ones we had just gone to to see the reactions of the state politicians to the issues. She said that even a lot of times it's enough to just be seen there, because if she shows up at a hearing, even if she does not necessarily have anything to say to any of the policitians, they know that she was there and know that the Detroit Regional Chamber cares about that issue.
















A courtroom in the Capitol Building


That's all for now, I'll write about the second half of my day with Sarah in my next blog!!!






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?